Located at the Simms Center for the Performing Arts, Albuquerque Academy
The workshop will include:
• Understanding how children grieve differently from adults.
• Learn to recognize some of the common pitfalls to which bereaved youth are vulnerable, i.e. physical ailments, substance abuse, depression, increased tardiness and absences, poor school performance, anxiety disorders.
• Identifying some of the key differences between bereaved youth at different developmental stages. Distinguish between elementary, middle, and high school-aged students, to create effective interventions.
• Understanding our typical cultural responses to grief (i.e. fear of explicitly discussing the death and obscuring the facts with euphemisms, offering platitudes, ignoring the death) are not helpful. Learn how to replace typical responses with more helpful responses and compassionate companionship.
• Exploring ideas to support bereaved parents and caregivers so they may better understand and support their grieving student at home.
The Supporting Grieving Students workshop is approved for CEUs for counselors, psychologists, and social workers by the NASW – NM. CGC will provide certificates for those who require them.